Loop mangling tutorial

April 29th, 2007

I have attached to this post a text tutorial describing how to manipulate drum loops with Ableton’s Sampler and Simpler. The techniques described there in apply to almost any sample playback software with modulation and FXs.

Sampler Tutorial

I have enclosed a Word “.doc” and an HTML file. The HTML file works flawlessly in Explorer, not so much in FireFox or Safari (it can be read but the images don’t work right). Stay tuned while I learn to make PDFs. Anyway, the samples I have included are for demonstration purposes only; I have given you the building blocks to get the same results in the form of an Ableton Live project with the clips I used to make the demo loops.

Here is about a minute of stuff that can be accomplished just with the techniques I described.

Demo

Entry Filed under: Sample Collections

9 Comments Add your own

• 1. MP  |  April 29th, 2007 at 3:37 am

Just wanted to let you know you can convert your text documents to PDF with Writer (equivalent of MS Word) included in the free OpenOffice. Just open the doc and select from the menu “File” > “Export as PDF”.

And yes, I like PDFs more than regular text files. :-)

• 2. Administrator  |  April 29th, 2007 at 3:39 am

Thanks for the heads up! Thanks for your interest.

3am

• 3. Dicklin  |  May 7th, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Or if you have not downloaded a copy of OpenOffice and do not want to go for the 93MB download I suggest PDF Creator, a PDF printer. After installation just go to file>print when the printer window opens choose the PDF Creator printer, click OK and follow the dialog boxes to save a PDF from any application you can print from.

• 4. MO  |  May 9th, 2007 at 5:15 am

Pretty wicked tutorial….

• 5. Ckid  |  May 11th, 2007 at 3:15 am

This tutorial helped me quite a bit. Very nice.

• 6. PC  |  May 15th, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Thanks a lot. Great work!

• 7. Jonny  |  May 18th, 2007 at 2:54 am

More more more! :D
    Also for people without sampler like me :D

• 8. Administrator  |  June 15th, 2007 at 2:52 pm

I have updated the file so it no longer contains a .doc or HTML file. I have replaced them with a PDF. Thanks for the input guys.

• 9. ATX  |  October 10th, 2007 at 11:00 am

Excellent! This is just the kind of info I’ve looked for, being a fan of this kind of mangleness and purveyors (Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, plaid, etc.). Thanks so much!